July 7, 2011 Black Sea Bass On A Bed Of Garlicy Spinach
Home Cathie came, laden down with shopping bags from one of our favorite New York markets, Fairway on 125th St. Within one bag was Black Sea Bass so fresh you could inhale the smell of the sea. And two bags of double washed Baby Spinach. That solved the dinner question. Cath’s homecoming is always like opening a Pinata, a never disappointing surprise. What landed on the dinner table was a not necessarily Inspired, but definitely simple, yet satisfying dinner. The adage ” simple is better” continues to be true.
1 Pound of Black Sea Bass ( or other types of sea bass)
Sea Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper
1 TB of grated Lemon Rind
1 tsp of Spanish Paprika (Not smoked)
1TB of EVOO & 1 TB of Butter
Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
A splash of Rowland’s Balsamic Glaze (available in stores & on line)
1. Season the Black Sea Bass with Sea Salt, freshly ground Black Pepper, the grated Lemon Rind & the Spanish Paprika.
2. Add the EVOO, & allow it to marinate until cooking time.
3. Heat up the saute pan, add the 1 TB of EVOO & Butter. Pan cook for no more than about 5 minutes. turning the fish constantly & dousing with pan juices.
4. Spoon the delicious pan juices over & around the fish, remove from the pan & place on the bed of sauteed Spinach.
RECIPE Sauteed Spinach with Garlic & EVOO
2 10 Ounce bags of washed Spinach
2 Garlic cloves sliced
2 TB of EVOO+ 1TB for adding to the plate
Salt & fresh Black Pepper
1. Rewash the Spinach & remove their stems. This is optional but desirable.
2. Tear into bite size pieces.
3. Heat a deep sided saute pan until hot. Add the Olive Oil. When the Oil is rippling, add the Garlic, cook until fragrant.
4. Add a large handful of Spinach, cover & allow it to wilt. Repeat until all the spinach is in the pan & wilted.
5. Toss the mixture & it’s ready to plate.